Wednesday, May 6, 2009

MOMISMS FOR MOTHERS DAY




As a mom, I have favorite quotes, or tidbits of advice that I have learned from my mother and have since used on my children and now find myself using on my children and grandchildren. I honor of Mothers Day, I thought I would share some momisms with you that I love. We always hate hearing our mothers use these phrases to teach us a lesson or scold us as a child, but somehow find ourselves missing them as we become adults. These motherly sayings go a long way to build our character and strength and make us better people as we grow up, and I personally remember my mom using these harsh sounding bits of advise on me when I was younger and thinking how ridiculous they sounded. How ironic that I now find myself using these same momisms with my own kids. My two girls think that they sound ridiculous just as I did as a child and hate it when I spout one out at them. Stephanie and Ashley are all grown up now and have children of their own so I am anxious to see how long it will be before they too begin passing down these somewhat humorous sayings. Below is a collection of great "momisms" that I have been known to use from time to time and if you look closely, many are probably ones that are familiar with you as well.

* Money does not grow on trees you know.
* Don't make that face or it might freeze like that.
* If I talked to my mother the way you talk to me....
* Always wear clean underwear, you never know when you might be in an accident.
* Be careful or you'll put your eye out.
* So what if everyone else gets to do that, if everyone else jumped off a cliff, would you do that too?
* You have enough dirt behind those ears to grow potatoes.
* Close that door. Were you raised in a barn?
* If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
* Don't put that in your mouth; you don't know where it's been.
* Be careful what you wish for, you may just get it.
* Don't eat that, it will stunt your growth.
* I'll always be proud of you no matter what you accomplish.
* When you grow up and have kids, I hope you have kids "just like you" (also known as "the mothers curse")
* Because I am the mother, that's why!
* If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times.
* Eat your vegetables. Those poor children in China would be happy to have some broccoli to eat.
* If you fall out of that tree and break your leg, don't come running to me.
* Yes, I **AM** the BOSS of you! ( my personal favorite)
* Because I said so, thats why.
* Just wait til your father gets home.
* No dessert til you clean your plate.
* I brought you into this world, and I can take you OUT!
* I've got eyes in the back of my head, that's how.
* Just you wait til you have kids of your own....then you'll understand.
* I slave for hours over a hot stove, and that's the thanks I get.
* Honestly...you'd lose your head if it wasn't screwed on.
* Bored? how can you possibly be bored? why, when I was your age, I didn't have near the amount of toys that you have to play with.
* Maybe everyone elses mother does let them do that, but I am NOT everyone elses mother, and YOU are Not going to do that.
* I am so sorry you are soooo deprived!
* Get over it!
* If you think Jimmy's mom is such a better mom that me, then maybe you should go live with Jimmy!
* You have it alot better than most kids.


There are more that I probably use occasionally, but you get the idea. How many of these have you used with your kids?

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment